Monday, October 22, 2012

October 22, 2012

wow--- the chicken sh#ting memsaic wall is filling up with names and addresses from way far away  -- many many $10 donors-- a few much more than $10 --- but those $10 add up nicely.
 
and the comments continue to be rare--i am collecting them in a big box in the overflow room.-- actually make that overflow room #289
********************
there is a sign up list for overnight duty with the pups...  a tired mom with a big litter has been known to lie on a pup  so we try and prevent this  by giving them 24 hour survelience...
 
  along about now i ask where are the people who say raising dogs is a easy process...   the only thing we have not had is a c-section...  we took on a huge worry when we took on the explore cameras-- as earlene and i sat waiting for th efirst pup  i was panic'd  with all tose people watching......what if the first is stillborn????  it can happen-
 
 don't forget we have moxie coming in in a few days-- she is black and will not photograph as welll unless we get some better lighting.-- somebody else can deal with that??????
*****
the new deagle house  ( the house that jack built) has a new floor  which matty's dad said we could walk on today---  i think i will leave off the  chain link  for another day
that will give me time to find little squares of plastic wood to keep the metal off the floor.
****
greg's mom and earlene spent a lot of time yesterday cutting beef in front of th efireplace-- very picturesque
 
I THINK RENEE RAKED MOST OF THE DRIVEWAY   SO WE CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PINE CONES AND OTHER CYLINDRICAL OBJECTS THAT ARE IN CLINED TO BE MORE SLIPERY-- MAKES CLEAN UP SOOOOO MUCH EASIER...
 
 BEEF CUTTING-- RAKING AND LANUDRY HANGING  ARE GREAT JOBS FOR NEWCOMERS.
*************
we had a lot of newcommers yesterday-- one  specifically was amazed we did not have  a 3 hour indoctrination ..... which reminded me.... to post this again...
 
RULES WHILE AT
THE SERVICE DOG PROJECT:
IF IT’S BROKEN, FIX IT
IF IT’S DIRTY, CLEAN IT
IF IT’S SMELLY, PICK IT UP
IF IT’S EMPTY, FILL IT
IF YOU TRIP OVER IT, MOVE IT
IF IT’S GOT FOUR LEGS AND A TAIL, LOVE IT
IF IT’S GOT TWO LEGS - IN A GREEN GOLF CART,
LISTEN CLOSELY TO IT

*****
**************
so for today's vent  let me tackle the relationship to IQ and spelling errors. a very sensative topic with me--- 
 i am a notoriously creative speller  and resent the  snobs who have decided some spelling is right and any other waay is worng  with absolutely no regard for creative typos and arthritic knuckles.
i do assume anyone reading this daily doggie will be able to solve some of th e more unusual spelling puzzles presented.   i know the rules...
   i before e except after C or in a month which hath 30 days.. like september.
 
i got this from some helpful -- and had to respond.
 
It's probably the Book Editor in me, but the October 20th blog was painful to read - because of all the spelling errors. I am sure you are all very intelligent and educated, but when you cannot spell, it send a negative message. You are trying to raise money - and want to show people that you care about what you write and that you have the education to spell correctly. Spell check would have caught all of the errors below...

A final note. I am an editor, and if you sent me a manuscript with these typos, I would not continue to read it.

Tortured not Torchered.
Making not Makeing.
Challenge not Challange.
Pleasant not Pleasent.
Original not Origional
Redefine not Re-define
Received not Recieved (i before e, except after c)
 
This is not meant as judgement... I thought you would want to know this, and will "process" it in the spirit that was intended.
 
if having something spelled correctly is critical -- i simply get someone else to do it.
 
 the reason this gets my goat..... is ---- i went to colby college in maine-- and freshamn year we  were presented with a 500 word spelling list  and could not graduate til we could pass that test.    i was the only one still taking it senior  year---( one year was  at university of edinburgh)  the 3 years at colby  and every vacation were consumed  with  that danm list. vacations   my mother would drill me and  in frustration said "you will never make it --- you can't spell a word wrong twice the same way"
i think they gave me a diploma just to get rid of me... furthermore no one has ever asked to see that diploma-  i was a math major..  if my intelligence is based on my spelling ability  i am in big trouble..
****
TODAY SCHEDULE?
 
I HAVE HEARD BUD1 WILL BE HELPING JACK WITH HE NEW DEAGLE HOUSE....
 
PAUL MENTIONED ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE ESCAPING CHICKENS IS THAT THERE ARE ABOUT 17 LAYERS OF FENCING-- EACH ONE COVERING THE INADEQUENCY OF THE LAST...  AND THE SUM IS NOT 100% 
MAYBE IT IS TIME TO CALL IN RICK  XXXXXXXX WHO DOES FENCING  BIG TIME AROUND ALL THE HAMILTON HORSE FARMS AND SEE IF HE WILL RISE TO THE OCASSION  OF ONE SMALL CHICKEN PEN
 
AND SOMEONE HAS TO BE IN THE HOUSE WITH CHAOS-- PUPS DO GET BEHIND HER-- OR WANDER BEYOND HER BEING ABLE TO BREATHE  ON THEM TO "CALL " THEM BACK.
 
I AM THRILLED WITH THE CHICKEN POO NUMBERS---
COULD WE POSSIBLEY SELL OUT?????
 

16 comments:

  1. Who cares about the typos and misspelt words... Who is she to criticize when she herself made a error... Those in glass houses shouldn't cast stones without spell-checking themselves, I say!!

    I applaud you for what you are doing.. aside from maintaining a blog (which I personally dont have the patience or interest to do!!)... Not for just the furkids/4-legged ones.. but for others that will need the assistance that these wonderful dogs will give. Keep up the good work SDP and type as you wish... I have not had a problem reading any of your entries, as I am able to understand what you are trying to say and not spell what you type... and I thoroughly ENJOY your outlook in doing what you do.... *double thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love your rules may I face book them, I will any way with lots of info on SDP.

    Can't believe the grammar and spelling bee graders are having a go at you Carlene.
    Arthritis is no fun at all :(
    Let them STEW hehehe.

    Upside I paid one gallon of fuel for you, I couldn't get pay pal to work on the Chicken Sh*t lol, so I just made a donation that suited my pocket.
    Goodluck getting all the bricks filled.

    Any way waiting for "Walmart" I mean ASDA equivalent to Walmart to deliver food and get ready for Halloween party for my Great Nephews and Neice tomorrow, well gotta to fly.

    By all at SDP I can't get over there with a broom, so I will pick up t he sh*t in the comments room instead and whap them with a broom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear book editor,
    If you want to get picky:

    "it sends a negative message." not "it send a negative message."
    "October 20 blog" not "October 20th blog" (see AP Style Guide on use of dates)
    "to read because of all the spelling errors" not "to read - because of all the spelling errors" (again see proper use of dashes in AP style guide)

    I could go on, but I don't enjoy being a bully. If you are concerned about how the blog portrays the organization, maybe offer to help them with it at a volunteer level. What you offered in your letter, pure criticism with no offer to be of help in any way, does nothing but make the you feel better about yourself. I hope it helped!

    Signed,
    An editor who doesn't care how the blog is written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *very LOUD round of applause* BRAAAVVOOOO...Bravo... ENCORE... OK OK... maybe no encore, since you admitted that you don't enjoy being a bully!! Got the "send" part, but didn't realise the other errors. Thank you for that little lesson :-D

      Delete
  4. Never bought chicken poo bricks before but there is always a first time! Thanks for all you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you do there will always be people who have to complain about something. I think you have an amazing organization that benefits many people. Keep up the good work and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's ridiculous to expect this type of writing to be perfect. As you said, if you have something that HAS TO be spelled correctly you'll ask someone else. If that does occur, I volunteer - it's pretty much the only thing I'm really good at. Your creative spelling is fun; your content is fascinating.

    By the way, I spent loads of time in Edinburgh in the 80s - LOVED IT! Why did you choose to go there in particular?

    Also, I would really like to know if there might be a biography of you or biographical articles floating around out there. I would love to know more, if there's any info available to the public - how your career progressed into this, etc.

    I REALLY hope someone will answer at least that last question - if not Carlene, then someone else who knows. Thanks. :-)

    celticat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a Technical Writer, but geez, who cares if your spelling is creative? How many hours of sleep have you had? The wrong message is the one being sent by the grammar police. They probably also are on font patrol for anyone using Comic Sans. You keep loving these dogs the way you have been, and forget the negative Nellies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's wrong with Comic Sans; it's a nice font?

      Delete
    2. There is a group of people who I call the Font Police - they think that Comic Sans is "for 8 year old girls, not for business". I am a font junky - I like just about anything that is different.

      Delete
  8. I do appreciate proper spelling; but this is your blog; and you are certainly entitled to use creative spelling or any other spelling you like when you write in it. And considering how hard you must be working there (keeping all those adult and puppies well and happy and loved); I don't care if you utilize creative spelling techniques; I'm pleased that you can find the time to blog at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beyond agreeing with all the affirmations of your works through SDP, I couldn't help putting a quirky spin on the "editor's" passive-aggresive diatribe.

    "She who lives in a glass house needs to buy a Chicken Brick!!"

    My daughter and I have been blessed to find y'all right before Chaos' whelping. I am amazed and sit in blessed wonder at the work being done there.
    Much aloha and Mahalo nui loa!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep doing what you're doing....it's working! Bought 4 bricks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit that I definitely appreciate correct spelling & grammar & having the same font all the way through something I'm reading, simply because I'm dyslexic & it can take me a LONG time to work out what is being said. And it takes me ages to write a comment, because I have to proofread over & over.
    Having said that, I thoroughly reading your posts & am extremely grateful to you for taking the time to write them & for keeping us up to date with all the happenings. I'm thrilled that I found SDP through explore.org & I'm saving up to make a donation.
    As I'm in the UK I can't help out physically, but if you decide you'd like someone to proofread your blog posts before you publish them, then I volunteer.
    Much love to you & all the team.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a degree in English, work in a library, and spend my days reading all kinds of writing. I also have a brain and know that you are in the process of doing 52 other things! I know that the blog isn't something you seem comfortable with (especially now that people are making sure you know that they see the mistakes). We are lucky that you are sharing your life with us. I also know that with 8 newborn pups, you aren't getting enough sleep. (Again, not something that is conducive with publisher-perfect manuscripts!) I know what you are trying to tell us, and know that you should deserve some slack. I also wish I had enough time to edit your writing & email you about it. (Don't these people have anything else to do?) Hang in there, know that we thank you for letting us into your home & life, and are lucky for whatever we get. (So there! :P)

    P.S. I do harangue my husband about his spelling & writing, but I'm supposed to do that, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoo-hooo! You go, Carlene, girlfriend! Hey, it's YOUR blog and you can write it in Sanskrit if you want to. Esperanto, anyone??? I love reading your blog and anyone who can't read it needs to go back to school.

    Someone said: any wrod taht has the fisrt and lsat lertets in the rgiht plcae can hvae the rset of the lterets in any jmulbed mix and aynnoe wtih hlaf a biran wlil be albe to raed it.

    So there! (Try typing that with auto spell correction. It kept trying to correct my spelling.) LOL!

    Love ya, Carlene. I'm just a tad older than you are but you pack more living in a single day than I do in a year. I'm proud of you...I wish I knew you...and I hope you never change!

    Geaux, Great Danes!!! (That's not misspelled...it's a faux Cajun spelling of "Go".

    Apple

    ReplyDelete