Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012

WE ALL MADE IT-
-TOASTY AND WARM WITH  LIGHTS ALIT
 
IT WAS A ONE KLUNK NIGHT---JANINE JUMPED UP AND SAID "WE'VE BEEN HIT" BUT AFTER A QUICK RUN AROUND WE SAW NO WATER COMING IN THE HOUSE -- I FIGURED  A TREE DOWN IS NOT THE PROBLEM -- THE PROBLEM  WAS ALL THOSE TREES THAT WERE STILL UP
 
GWEN BLUE -- A THINKER-- SAID WE SHOULD USE THE NEXT $10  WALL TO GET SOMEBODY TO CUT   OR TRIM SOME OF THESE MONSTER TREES THAT SURROUND THE HOUSE.
 
I DON'T SAY I WAS FRIGHTENED,, BUT I DID DECIDE TO MOVE A COMFY SEAT NEXT TO THE BIG PILE OF ROCKS THAT IS THE FIREPLACE.
 
I THINK MARY LOU SURVIVED IN THE GUEST CABIN-- I CAN SEE THE TV IS ON-- AND PEOPLE COMING AND GOING HAVE CHECKED ON FIONA AND HER.
WE DID GO TO COSTCO YESTERDAY-- I WAS CURIOUS TO SEE  SHELVES  STRIPPED OF BATTERIES----NOT TRUE..  WHATEVER YOU NEEDED WAS THERE INCLUDING A FANTASTIC LANTERN MEGAN STARTED PLAYING WITH  AND MARY LOU BOUGHT 2 OF THEM FOR US 
 
ASIDE FROM LOOKING FOR MEGAN,   FIONA DID VERY WELL- 
EVERY ONE WE TRAIN IS A LEARNING PROCESS..
. I NOTICE WITH MARYLOU AND FIONA--- FOR EXAMPLE...---- GOING OUT THE VAN DOOR-- "FIONA WAIT"-- AND FIONA DOES-- AND MARY LOU EXPECTS HER TO BOLT WHEN THE DOOR OPENS AND GETS READY TO CATCH HER BY HOLDING HER NECK-- WHERE FIONA'S REACTION TO THE WAIT... IS... IF I INCH FORWARD SHE MAY NOT NOTICE.. WITH MEGAN AND I  IN TRAINING MODE--- WE NOTICE THAT INCHING... AND REPEAT "FIONA WAIT"  AND FIONA REALIZES SHE HAS BEEN CAUGHT AND THEN WAITS...
 
MY CONCLUSION IS-- THERE IS A SPLIT SECOND AFTER A "COMMAND " WHEN THE DANES TRY SOMETHING VERY SMALL TO SEE IF YOU ARE SERIOUS AND PAYING ATTENTION... IF YOU CAN  CATCH THAT SPLIT SECOND-- YOU  HAVE A PERFECT  DOG.    PERSONALLY I WATCH A DOG'S HEAD WHEN I ASK THEM TO DO SOMETHING-- THIS ENABLES ME TO REMIND THEM I AM PAYING ATTENTION.. ONCE THEY REALIZE I AM PAYING ATTENTION THEY GENERALLY JUST DO WHATEVER AND I CAN RELAX MY ATTENTION...   
 
MARY IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THIS EXERCISE... SHE WILL WALK UP TO THE T TENT-- KNOWING FULL WELL SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO STEP ONTO THE COBBLESTONES WHICH IS THE FLOOR. 
 SHE STOPS-- AND THEN  MANAGES TO LIFT ONE FOOT AFTER ANOTHER... JUST TO CHASE FLYS YOU KNOW...   THE FACT THAT EACH LIFT LANDS THE FOOT 1/2 INCH ONTO THE FLOOR AND CLOSER TO THE  TABLE-- WHERE SHE WILL GRAB ANY BAG OR PIZZA BOX  AND RUN LIKE.HELL FOR THE BARN.  IT IS A LESSON IN "PAY ATTENTION" 
 TO HAVE ALL OF US CHASE HER AS SHE SCATTERS PLASTIC SILVERWARE ALL OVER 100 FEET PLEASES HER... I SWEAR SHE SMILES... AS SHE WATCHES US PICK IT ALL UP.
***************
ABOUT THE STORM... SO FAR SO GOOD... BUT I WORRY ABOUT THINGS LIKE THE NY SUBWAY SYSTEM BEING INUNDATED WITH SALT WATER-- RUMORED TO TAKE MONTHS TO REPLACE METAL EXPOSED TO SALT WATER..
 
THAT LEAVES 3 MILLION PEOPLE WANDERING AROUND WITH NOT ENOUGH TO DO...
 
AND OUR NATIONAL GUARD IS  CHASING PEOPLE AROND THE HILLS OF AFGANHASTAN....
 
I THINK IF I WAS INVOLVED--- I WOULD BE HANGING SHEET  OF PLAstic to catch rainwater that has not yet been contaminated  with things on the ground.
 
? GENERIC WORRY???
 I WORRY ABOUT THE FACT THAT THERE ARE A LIMITED WAYS TO CROSS THE HUDSON RIVER -- AND MY  BREAKFAST , LUNCH , AND DINNER  ARE ALL PRODUCED ON THE OTHER SIDE.... 
 
OUR RESIDENT PHD BIOLOGIST  DR.BOB-- WORRIES ONE STEP FURTHER..
MUCH OF OUR FOOD IS RAISED WEST OF THE ROCKIES-- I E THE PACIFIC OCEAN AREA...     and AFTER WE HAVE CHEWED AND SWOLLOWED IT THE  nutrients lEFT  END UP IN THE ATLANTIC.  ..
 
I WONDER HOW HE FEELS ABOUT THE ATLANTIC OCEAN "RINSING OFF" THE MAJOR METROPOLITAN COMMUNITIES WITH SALT WATER.
***************
HILARY LEFT-- SO THE DRIVEWAY MUST BE CLEAR---
 
CAMERA IS STILL WORKING AND MOXIE IS SNORING AWAY ON THE COUCH--- SHE DID SOME NESTING LAST NIGHT  BUT IS PERFECTLY RELAXED NOW.;
 
I THINK IT IS TUESDAY
 

4 comments:

  1. So glad you all fared well! Interesting observations regarding training danes. When I was training, we only had one dane come through our classes. No training at 1 year old. She also pushed boundaries. (Think that was more her family's fault than hers.) My husband took our dane through basic obedience, and he would just stop participating half way through the hour. (Think he was about 3-4 months at the time.) The only thing he seems to have left of training is a great "Sit" and a mediocre "Down." He had no interest in the rest! :)

    Don't worry too much about things you can't change, just trust that you're resourceful & can deal with what comes next. (I'd be in a dark room some where, in the fetal position, if I let myself think too long & hard!)

    Enjoy Miss Moxie & all those entertaining toddlers and babies, and know that we really appreciate what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So relieved that you all survived the storm~~~was praying.

    Love to watch the puppies and look forward to the Daily Doggie. Thanks for sharing your world via webcam. Reality internet is so much more educational than reality TV:-)
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you all are faring well! What a relief it must be for one and all. I second the motion to get the trees trimmed. If it's not hurricanes, it could be wet, heavy snow... an accident waiting to happen either way. Best wishes with Moxie (was that your nickname, by the way? As evidenced by your blogs, I'd say you have a fair amount of Moxie mixed in with your infinite wisdom!). Continue to stay safe and sound out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear you're okay with minimum problems. I hope that tree didn't do much damage...if that's what the "hit" was.

    Your story about Mary reminded me of a wonderful German Shepherd I had before I began with Danes. Tuffy wasn't allowed in my tiny kitchen when I was cooking so when he tried and I said "Out of the kitchen!" he would back up and lie down at the entrance obediently. Then little by little he would move one paw across the threshhold until he had one paw in the kitchen. He wasn't fooling me but I let him think he was very clever...which he was. He actually let me into my apartment once when I had forgotten my keys and gone Christmas shopping. But that's another story. ;-D

    ReplyDelete