Saturday, January 12, 2013

January 12, 2013


I WILL SKIP THE 118 EMAILS WAITING  AND GO STRAIGHT TO THE DAILY DOGGIE--

THE BIGGEST SUCCESS ( HOPEFULY-) WAS LULU-- SHE COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER-- AND  WITH A GREAT DEAL OF CONFUSION SHE IS NOW THERE AS THEIR OFFICE DOG-- TO BE MANAGED BY COURTNEY--
AND AS SOON AS I FINISH THIS DAILY DOGGIE  I WILL DO AN EMAIL AND SEND HER SOME THINGS SHE NEDEDS TO KNOW-- LIKE LULU WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE A YUPPY PUPPY IN TH EHOFFICE FOR THAT MID MORNING SNACK-

SO FROM LULU'S STANDPOINT.....

ON THE PLANE-- SHE WAS NO PROBLEM FOR OPENERS-- BUT ABOUT AN HOUR INTO THE  6 HOUR FLIGHE SHE BEGAN TO PANT AND  WORRY ME-- BUT AFTER I SHARED MY TURKEY JERKY WITH HER SHE SETTLED RIGHT DOWN AND FELL ASLEEP FOR MOST OF THE FLIGHT-- EVEN OVER THE BUMPS OF THE ROCKIES...

SHE IS AN EDUCATED DOG-- NOT TRAINED TO DO MOVEMENTS- AND THIS IS A WHOLE NEW CONCEPT TO MANY DOG PEOPLE-- INCLUDING CHARLEI-   WE WENT TO THE EXPLORE  OFFICE BEFORE LUNCH- AND ONCE THERE I JUST TOOK OFF HER LEASH COLLAR AND HARNESS... SHE POLITELY INTRO=DUCED HERSELF TO THE STAFF-- ANN,  COURTEY  TOM AND CHARLIE  AND JUST LAID DOWN AND WATCHED PEOPLE MOVE ABOUT IN A VERY SOPHISTICATED WAY..
LUNCH -- PERFECT-- A WALK  BACK TO TH E OFFICE-- THEN CHARLIE TOOK HER HOME  WITHOUT ME  TO MEET HIS OLD DOG AND DAUGHTERS YAPPIE ( THE SIZE OF1/2  A ROL L OF   PAPER TOWELS)  HE SAID SHE WAS PERFECT LADY .

BACK FOR DINNER AT THE HOTEL-- AROUND A COFFEE TABLE BECAUSE THERE WERE TOO MANY OF US TO MOVE TO A RESTAURANT.... LULU WAS PERFECT IN TH ESITUATION  WHERE IT WAS A PROBLEM TO FIND A PIECE OF  FLOOR FOR HER TO LIE DOWN.... SHE MANAGED. I HAD TAKEN HER LEASH /HARNESS OFF  TO SIMPLIFY MATTERS..

THEN THE CONVERSATION BEGAN ABOUT CHARLIE'S CURRENT LIFE WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO AN ADDITIONAL DOG AT THE MOMENT-- AND ANNE AND I FIGURED WE WOULD BE TAKING HER BACK WITH US.  I HAD HER IN MY ROOM  OVERNIGHT TIL THE FINAL MEETING AT 8AM IN TH E HOTEL LOBBY-- THE LIMO WAS TO PICK UP ANN AND I AT 10
\
IT WAS THOSE 2 HOURS THAT GAVE ME A REAL VIEW OF HOW THIS  TEAM WORKS--  FIRST OF ALL--- THEY WERE THERE AT 8--- SAME LOBBY-- COFFEE-  GROUP  BREAKFAST (? IS THIS MY BAGEL OR YOURS KIND OF THING..)  AND  MIKE WAS THERE--TO SHORTEN A VERY LONG STORY-- MIKE JOINED THE GROUP  AND  WAS IN A WHEELCHAIR-- AND THE CHALANGE WAS --- GET HIM UP... ( WHICH ALONG THE WAY  I HAD MADE THE STATEMENT WE HAD DONE THAT  )  MIKE CAME EQUIPED WITH STILL  PHOTOGRAPHER,& VIDEO PHOTOGRAPHER --IT WAS   OK LULU YOU ARE ON...  EVEN THO I MADE  IT CLEAR SHE WAS NOT A FULLY TRAINED WALKER DOG. 

I HELD MY BREATH-- AND LULU-S COLLAR AS HE GOT TO HIS FEET AND WE WALKED--- ONE STEP AT A TIME-- UNFORTUNATELY WE HAD NOT PLANNED AHEAD AND WERE AIMED AT A SHORT BUNCH OF 5 STEPS-- BUT MIKE WAS GAME.   SO AFTER WALKING THE 30 FEET WE WENT UP THOSE STEPS-  AND DOWN ---- ONE STEP AT A TIME   WHOA AND GIMME A STEP---  WORKED FINE  MIKE COULD BE ON HIS FEET --- WE MAMNAGED BACK TO HIS CHAIR AND MOVED THE OPERATION TO TH E WALKWAY OUTSIDE WITH THE VIDEOGRAPHER...WHERE HE LEFT HIS CHAIR, WALKED ABOUT 20 FEET WITH LULU AND  ME-- AND I BACKED AWAY FROM LULU WHO BY THEN HAD FIGURED OUT WHT SHE WAS TO DO...AND HE WALKED ANOTHER 30 FEET WITH HER ALONE.

GOOD DOG LULU---

AND I WAS STILL TALKING TO CHARLIE ABOUT GIVING HER TO HIS OFFICE PERSON   ANN-- OR  BRINGING HER BACK WITH US  AND HAVING HIM COME GET HER IN A MONTH.. 

IT WAS 10  THE LIMO DUE- LULU WAS ALL PACKED READY TO GET IN  THE LIM O-- AND COURTNEY BREEZED IN  WITH  "CAN I KEEP HER AS OFFICE DOG"    ANSWER ..." YES--- HERE IS HER LEASH AND SOME FOOD AND I WILL CONTACT YOU WHEN I GET HOME" 
TURNS OUT... SHE MST HAVE GOT THE MESSAGE MENTAL TELEPATHY WHEN ANN SAID SHE  COULDN'T TAKE HER-- SO COURTNEY CALLED THE LIMO COMPANY AND SAID.... "DO NOT  TAKE THE 2 WOMEN AND THE DOG TO THE AIRPORT UNTIL I GET  THERE..."  

PERFECT SOLUTION-- COURTNEY WILL TAKE HER TO THE OFFICE-- OR WHEREVER SHE GOES  AND CHARLIE WILL GET A GOOD LOOK AT AN EDUCATED DANE.  

AND I NOW HAVE TO WRITE TO COURTNEY WITH INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT LULU   THINGS LIKE YUPPY PUPPY...

I THINK THEY WERE IMPRESSED WITH LULU-- AND THEREFORE OUR PROGRAM
ANNE AND I WERE INCIDENTAL- THE REAL SHOW WAS LULU-

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW





2 comments:

  1. Carlene,
    Sounds like an excellent trip! I'm glad Lulu figured it out with the gentleman in the wheelchair...really, as I was reading, I had no doubts that she was going to be GREAT!! How did boarding the plane go? Were you given preferential boarding...were you able to sit in the bulk head section (I think that's what they call it)...or maybe 1st class for more room - you deserve 1st class!!!

    I wish I could have been a fly on the wall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! It sounds like everything worked out perfectly. I have tears in my eyes. I'm so happy for this good outcome and it sounds like Lulu will be a great ambassador for the Service Dog Project.

    Can't wait to read more about your experiences in California.
    Thanks so much for sharing all this with us.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete