Tuesday, June 11, 2013

JUNE 11, 2013

THE GENETICS OF HARL DANES IS BIZZARRE AT BEST. AND MAYBE BORING--- BUT I NEED TO CONSIDER IT--- AND THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE EDUCATIONAL...

THERE EXISTS A CHART OF THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES OF VARIOUS BREEDINGS-- AND COMPARING OUR FAMILY TREE TO THESE NUMBERS, IS VAGUELY SIMILAR. GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA HAS A GREAT DEAL TO SAY ABOUT COLOR ETHICS.

EARLENE AND I SPENT A GOOD HOUR PICKING APART COLORS AT 2 AM.....THE REASON WE GOT ONTO THIS IS THE NEXT I WOULD LIKE TO BREED-- HOPEFULLY IN ABOUT 4 MONTHS (SHE GETS TO PICK WHEN SHE COMES IN HEAT) WOULD BE SCARLOT- WALTER'S SISTER....GOOD LOOKING DOG- SOME PEOPLE WOULD SAY T HE PROBLEM IS SHE IS MERLE--AND MAY BE CARRYING A WHITE/ DEAF GENE-

MY FIRST CHOICE FOR MALE WOULD BE YELLOW - WHO IS ALSO MERLE-- OR HIS BROTHER BENTLEY BOTH OF WHOM ARE OUT OF A MERLE MOMMY ---OLIVE--

THE AKC IS CONCERNED WITH PRODUCING DOGS WHICH CAN BE SHOWN UNDER A COLOR CODE.. AND STRICTLY FROWN ON BREEDING MERLE TO MERLE FOR FEAR OF PRODUCING DEAF-  AND  TOO MANY DOGS THAT CAN NOT BE SHOWN.( GERM,ANY CLUB OUTLAWS HARL TO HARL SINCE 1995)

I THINK AKC STILL APPROVE OF BREEDING HARL TO HARL WHICH CAN ALSO PRODUCE DEAF BUT THE H TO H CAN POSSIBLY PRODUCE A "SHOW DOG )"-- MERLE TO MERLE CANNOT.

BY THE CHART MERLE TO MERLE STATISTICS WOULD BE

25% BLACK 50% MERLE 25% WHITE.. WITH SOME DEAF. AND NO "SHOW DOGS"

BREEDING HARL TO HARL STATISTICS WOULD BE
25% BLACK 33%HARL 17% MERLE 25% WHITE WITH SOME OF THEM SHOW DOGS DEPENDING ON WHERE TH E SPOTS ARE

**** LIKE LINDSAY TO BOBBY*****


BREEDING HARL TO MERLE 25% EACH BLACK -HARL -MERLE-WHITE
ANY WAY WE GO WE COULD HAVE A/SOME DEAF PUPS-

- WAY BACK I HAD A FEW -- PANDYMONIUM AND SHINER

 ON TOP OF ALL THIS-- IS WALTER IS A PIEBALD-- "COLOR HEADED WHITE" LOTSA NAMES--

WHICH COULD PRODUCE MORE PIEBALDS ...LIKE WHO CARES?  AKC DOES..??

THE SHOW PEOPLE WILL HAVE ALOT TO SAY I AM SURE..
**********
WE HAVE ALREADY BRED ANOTHER PIBALD--"PI" WHO IS DUE MID JULY

THE LAST LITTER OF WALTERS-- THE PIMENTOS-- THERE ARE 2 PUPS WHO LOOK BLACK - BUT HAVE A FEW WHITE HAIRS IN TH E MIDDLE OF THIER BACK--MAKING THEM A PIEBALD-- A DISASTER TO THE AKC- BUT FOR OUR PURPOSES INCONSEQUENCIAL---

GRANTED IT MAY I NDICATE A DIFFERENT GENETIC MAKE UP.. AND... GIVEN A CHOICE I WOULD NOT CHOOSE THEM FOR BREEDING.

 I HAVE BEEN IN TROUBLE WITH AKC SHOW PEOPLE EVER SINCE I PURCHASED THE 100 BLUE RIBBONS FOR 15 CENTS EACH AND HUNG THEM ON MY WALL.

BUT I DO CONSIDER COLOR AS ONE OF THE FACTORS IN WHO TO BREED. ONE OF THE CAMERA PEOPLE  QUESTIONED  SOMETING ABOUT WHO GOT SET ASIDE FOR BREEDING/ OR SOME OTHER REASON./

WELL THOSE ARE A FEW OF THE DETAILS.
******************
ON TOP OF ALL THAT... I WANTED TO TRY AND MAKE A SEEING EYE DOG OUT OF YELOW-- BEFORE I REALIZED I BETTER KEEP HIM AN ENTIRE MALE JUST IN CASE-- SO I GAVE HIM TO DENISE... SOMEONE LOCAL.

NOW MARIA WANTS TO TRY AND DO THE SEEING EYE TRAINING-- SO SHE HAS TAKEN MURPHY HOME TO WORK ON THE DETAILS-- I WISH I HAD THE TIME TO FOOL WITH MARIAH-- MAYBE ...

AND TO FURTHER REPORT ON THAT LITTER.. MAGNUS A COUPLE WEEKS AGO WENT TO BATTLE WITH ONE OF MEGAN'S MOTHER'S DOGS AND SLIT AN EAR- MUCH LIKE LUNA'S -- IT HAPPENS-- SO HER MOTHER DECIDED INSTEAD OF TRYING TO STITCH IT UP LEAVING HIS EARS UNMATCHED, JUST HAD BOTH CROPPED SO THEY WOULD MATCH..

 I WOULD LIKE TO FOOL WITH MORIAH'S TRAINING.. BUT NOT SURE I HAVE THE TIME OR ENERGY.. SO SHE MAY HANG AROUND FOR A WHILE AND SEE WHAT FATE HAS IN MIND FOR HER..

WE HAVE ENOUGH OF SERVICE DOGS TO WORK WITH AT THE MOMENT.. . LIKE 12 THAT HAVE NOT BEEN "STARTED--- DOIN' THE ONE STEP CRAWL" IN THE MALLS.

TODAY WE EXPECT 2 APPLICANTS TO BE HERE-- AND ONE CAMERA PERSON THIS AFTERNOON

THE CP SAID THEY WOULD BRING FOOD

GOTTA LOVE THE CP'S


SDP MOVES ON IT'S BELLY

 

I AM NOT YELLING-
- I CAN NOT SEE the small print


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the informative Daily Doggie. Always a great read. Can you help me understand why the coat color is important to the Service Dog's performance? Is it that you're attempting to produce more harls than service dogs with black coats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T CARE ABOUT COLOR UNLESS IT AFFECTS THEIR HEALTH-- LIKE DEAF...

      Delete
  2. This was really interesting to me. I have wondered on many of our visits what the deciding factors are in breeding, but honestly never thought to ask.
    I can tell you that if you every end up with another deaf doggy Dan and I would take it home as a pet if you let us!! Dan jokes that I like "broken" things. I adopted a cat born with one eye (best cat I have ever had) and, of course, Dan has CP (best man I have ever met!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lauri Jo - your note made me smile as much as the DD. :) Thanks. I like "broken things" too. One of my best dogs was a blind, diabetic (insulin dependent) beagle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, whichever you breed, I can't wait to watch from California. If you do indeed have some deaf pups, I am sure there would be plenty of service work they could do in the community. That said, if there is ever a need for a great home for a future deaf pup, feel free to look our way. We'd love to teach & learn doggy sign language. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I KNOW WE CP'S ARE AN AMAZING GROUP WILLING... "broken people" TO BE REPAIRED AT SDP WITH LOVING COMPANIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am guessing it is just for color variety. There are a lot of largely black doggies at the moment : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Murphy. As much as I would like to have him at my house, if he could help a blind person, that would be lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL THE TRANING OF MURPHY ( AND HOPEFULLY MARIAH) WILL BE AN EXPERIMENT-- TO SEE WHAT WE CAN DEVELOPE...

      Delete
    2. I am excited to see how it goes!!! Just read about a dane and a cancer/seizure sufferer. The dog knows when he is going to seize, and knows when to make the man rest. and the dog isn't a service dog!!!

      if you could train Murphy to help an off balance, pink haired woman not fall over all the time, I would gladly adopt him. I have a huge sense of humor and big heart.
      Also, I have had 2 big sheepie dogs, so know about big poo, large personalities, and big furniture needs.

      Delete
  8. I have a beautiful merle Dane from a merle/merle breeding. I find them to be gorgeous dogs. Carlene is right; color in her stock of dogs is irrelevant. She does have to watch for blind/deaf genes, but Mother Nature determines that. It's a risk with all the Harls, whites, piebalds, merles, etc. That's why I never bred Danes, lol! Too much stress for me.

    If there is any way we could get a peek at Magnus and his cropped ears, that would be wonderful. I thought he had such a striking look to him as it was. Miss seeing him!!!

    ReplyDelete